Saturday, August 13, 2011

HEADING INTO MY 7TH OLYMPIA!!-PART 1



I have been MIA for quite sometime....I think it's time for some updates!!

I have sat down numerous times to update my blog page, but for some reason I have had severe writers block!! I would start writing and then press delete, start over and delete....Well, I told myself that I had to sit down this weekend and get it done!!

I will take you back to the 2009 Fitness Olympia....Heading into this show my back was severely injured (it was actually bothering me at the Arnold Classic and then I had to re qualify for the Olympia and competed at the Orlando Pro show...and from there it just got worse) I was really stressed heading into the routine round and just prayed that I could get through my routine...(i kept telling myself, one more routine and then you can rest....) It wasn't until half way through my routine while doing a tumbling pass that I felt this excruciating pain from my feet all the way up to my neck (almost paralyzing) and then I just lay on the floor, thinking..."do I get up and continue or just surrender"...My decision was made for me....I was unable to continue...I got up and limped off the stage feeling totally defeated and heart broken...This wasn't supposed to happen...this is the Olympia!!! This was the worst feeling ever....When I got back to Canada, I had an MRI done have been working with an amazing Chiropractor, (Dr. Danielle Marr) since....I had some stress fractures in my back, piriformis syndrome and other issues from over training... I seemed to have been making some progress. I cut back on my workouts, cardio, etc...and really tried giving my body time to rest and heal.
Well....during that time off, I took advantage of many things that I have been putting off...As my son was heading off to his first year of university, he asked that my fiance and I finally get married...well, this was only 10 days before he was going to school...well, we definitely hustled and got it all together. Dennis and I arranged our wedding on-line and within only a few days, we organized a date, beautiful location in Niagara-on-the Lake- bought my dress, invited his dad and my mom...The day couldn't have been more beautiful....Dennis and I have been together close to 15 yrs, so it was definitely time!!! Life just seemed to have gotten in the way so everything was put off for so long... We expanded our business again and our competitive team continued to grow. Over the last year and a half, I have developed my dream team....it's an amazing feeling to watch so many women learn to believe in themselves and become empowered. Whether they competed, or just set personal goals and achieved them, was an amazing experience and I feel so blessed to be part of their journey.
Well....now on to the TORONTO PRO SHOW....When I heard about this show, I was so excited and kept thinking maybe I could get ready for this show.... After the 2009 Fitness Olympia, the feeling of not being able to complete my competition and having to walk off stage with an injury was devastating and it has bothered me to this day that I didn't finish what I started...I thought this would be a great opportunity to get back up on stage and finish what i started. After discussing my thoughts with Dennis and Dr. Marr, we thought it would be ok, as long as I listened to my body and not over due it....In my head I was completely ready and raring to go...however, my body was definitely not co operating. I started training hard again...weight training, increasing my cardio, working on routine skills etc....It wasn't too far into the training that I started experiencing excruciating pain in my glute and lower back again. I continued seeking treatments 1-2 times a week and pulled back on my training....2 weeks before the Toronto show, I was standing on the treadmill ( in tears) and the pain was so bad that I couldn't even walk at a snails pace. I remember getting off, telling myself that this was not going to beat me....I WAS going to compete....I went home that evening and Dennis and I discussed my options-To compete or not to compete....I had to put everything into perspective- Dennis told me that if I'm doing this show that this was for me....to finish what i started but without any pressure and the risk of further injuring myself. He said, you have already done 6 Olympia's and 5 Arnold Classics....there is nothing more to prove...we have a successful business etc...if your going to compete, you do it for yourself and only you...it doesn't matter where you place, but it's about getting the job done....Of course it all sounded good and he was right....although, I was stressing about not being able to do my routine, so I gave myself a pep talk and told myself that I only had to get through 1 of each half of my routine (at least i thought it would calm my brain down and I would feel more confident heading into the show knowing i was ok and capable to perform)....That was probably a week before the show.....I started working on my second 1/2 of my routine first and it seemed to be ok....so I went on to do my first 1/2...I was feeling pretty confident and felt powerful....during my side somi (a skill that I have been doing since I was 10) I landed kind of funny and I heard a loud pop in my ankle....I stopped what I was doing and immediately went home to ice....I saw Danielle (my chiropractor) later that day and she said that it was probably just a sprain....she treated it and I stayed off of any training until the day of the show....i mentally had to prep the last week out using visualization. The day of the show, I taped the hell out of my ankle, took some pain killers for my back and hoped for the best. My warm up seem ok, but once I hit the stage to perform my routine it was horrible....Every skill seemed so labored and my cardio was so poor (considering I hadn't been able to do anything for a while-you sure do lose it quickly!!) I wasn't very pleased with my performance, but I was pleased that I complete my goal and didn't allow my injuries to discourage me from competing. It was nice having my family and friends there to support me, and it was awesome to be competing with so many fellow Canadian competitors.....Jodi Boam (who I coached when she first started getting into the fitness world...so proud of her!!!) won, Myriam Capes placed 2nd and to my surprise I was presented with 3rd place and another qualification to the Olympia!!!
This was very overwhelming and I was completely shocked!!
After the Toronto show, I had to take some time to rest and really think and consider whether or not to compete at the Olympia or listen to this injured old body and hang up my suits....

A few weeks ago, I was still having some discomfort with my ankle, so I went and had an xray done...It turned out that my ankle had an avulsion fracture....they said that if I went to the DR as soon as it happened i would have been put in a cast.....As an athlete, I guess we think we are invincible. It probably wasn't a good idea to compete, and I really should have listened to my body....I have been taking care of it, and wrapping it when I do ANYTHING and icing it....

It's now 5 weeks out from the Olympia......will update my progress heading into my 7th O mid week!!!

I want to thank everyone who has supported me along the way....A very special thanks to my husband, Dennis, my son Alex, my family, Mike Davies, Dr. Marr, Karen Phillips from KHP DESIGNS for always suiting me up in gorgeous suits,Nina Luchka for doing my hair, Valeria Nova for doing my makeup, my fellow teammates from TEAMOBRIEN FITNESS...you guys are all incredible and I truly appreciate all your love and support.

xo